The church of Nazarene is considered as one f the largest denomination in the world. Its origins are from the Holiness Movement and they hold global missions to ” go and make disciples of all nations ”
Things you need to know about the Church of Nazarene
• Nazarene is a result of consolidation that resulted among organizations, churches, denominations on the 20th century.
• Phineas F. Bresee was the primary founder of the Church of Nazarene
• To respond to the great commission of Christ to “Go and make Disciple of all Nation” the primary and global mission of the church. In December 2006 the mission was stated more briefly as “to make Christlike disciple in the nations”.
• In 2009 the mission was ” making disciples through evangelism, education, showing compassion, working for justice and bearing witness to the kingdom of God”.
• The three core values of the church are “Christian, Holiness and Missional and the ideal is “to be a disciple-making church, an international community of faith, in the Wesleyan-Holiness tradition.”
The Seven Characteristics
• Meaningful Worship
• Theological Coherence
• Passionate Evangelism 4.
• Intentional Discipleship
• Church Development
• Transformational Leadership
• Purposeful Compassion
The Nazarene Beliefs
• Adults and infants are baptized in the Church. Baptism is a sacrament the shows or signifies the belief in Jesus Christ as one’s personal savior and it shows the willingness to Him.
• Nazarene believes that the Bible is the Word of God. The Bible contains and is the source of all the truth as a basis for faithful Christian living and ways.
• The mission of the church is to share and promote reconciling and redemptive ministries by evangelization, education, and bearing witness of the Kingdom of God.
• Nazarenes believe that those who have repented their sins and accepted Christ as their personal savior can join in this sacrament. They believe that Christ is present during this sacrament.
• Nazarenes believe that God heals. Nazarenes ahs the believe that God uses people to heal so they encourage members to seek medical treatment and they never discourage members to seek help to professionals.
• Nazarenes believes that they are Holiness people that has been open to sanctification and regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Nazarenes believe that this is a gift by God and is not earned by work. They embrace a Christ-like way of living that is modeled by Jesus Christ as having a sinless and holy life.
• The entire sanctification is believed to come about through the infilling of the Holy Spirit, which is by grace through faith. They also believe in growth through faith.
Heaven and Hell
• Nazarenes believe that heaven and hell exists an are real places. Those who have accepted Christ and believed in Him will be judged by their deeds and will be in glory with God. Those who are not believers will suffer eternity in hell.
• Nazarene believes in the Holy Spirit as the Third Person of the Trinity. Nazarene believes that it is always present and the Holy Spirit is the one that regenerates believers.
• Nazarenes believe that Jesus Christ is the 2nd Person in the Trinity. He was born of a virgin and died for the salvation of humanity and on the 3rd day, He rose.
• Christ’s death was for the entire humanity. Nazarenes believe that those who repent and believe in Christ will be justified and saved from the power of sin.
2nd Coming of Christ
• The Church is somewhat vague in its belief on the 2nd coming. But they believe that they will be caught up with the risen saints to meet the Lord up in the air.
• The fall of humanity but with the grace of God helps people correct their deeds and choices
• Nazarene believe that there is one God: The Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit
• Nazarenes believe in the sacrament of baptism both for adults or infants and communion.
• Nazarenes worship service includes prayers, hymns, Scripture reading, a sermon, and offering. They also believe in tithing and giving offerings. Most Nazarene Churches hold worship services on Sundays or Wednesdays.